Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Leah wins Burnham Super spring(??) crit


Yes folks we have our first win of the season. I am very happy for Leah, here is her race report;
Burnham Super Spring Crits, Saturday 3/28. Weather was looking sketchy all week but the day ended up being dry (at least for the morning races). It was cold and WINDY, however. Luckily I had my new Flatlandia heavy wind vest which kept me warm and stylish at the same time! My 1st race was the Women's Cat 4. The cold and a collegiate race in MI kept the field small at 6 riders. I lead it out at the start, trying to decide if I would play nice and go easy or let 'er rip and see what happened. I played nice then rounded the 1st corner and BAM into the head wind. Enough of that. I pulled off and let the rest of the girls enjoy the wind. We continued to play nice and take turns. I thought about attacking but decided to wait and see what the others would do. On the prime lap, Cathy nicely pulled us all the way up the front straight and I sprinted, and took, the prime. (I don't think Cathy was trying to be nice!) It ended up being a pretty tame race. We kept a respectable pace and eventually lost 2 riders off the back. The other girls seemed strong but I knew Molly (Cutting Crew) had won Thursday night at Calumet Park so I decided to sit on her wheel the final lap. She surprised me by taking off hard after the last turn. It's a long stretch into a strong wind up the front straight and I thought she'd gone too hard too soon. I let her go a little then I jumped and put in a super hard 20 second effort that overtook her as she faded. Win!

A 50 minute spin on the trainer and I lined up for the women's open race. True to form, Jessica Prinner (ABD) attacked early. I was asleep at the wheel and didn't get on it right away. A group of 4 was off the front, I was sitting alone in no man's land and another group of 3 was a ways back. I decided to try and finish bridging up, and I did, but couldn't make it stick. I slid back and regrouped with the 3 girls behind me. We had a solid pace line working but then we lost 2 off the back and it was just me and Tamara (XXX Racing) trading pulls. I started feeling fatigue accumulate and I lost her wheel with about 20 minutes to go. With no one in sight behind me I rode steady tempo alone for the rest of the race, finishing 6th out of 10. A good day and some more upgrade points for my cat 3 quest.

Leah.

It is the first, but hopefully not the last!!!!

3 comments: